From metal crowns with ceramic overlays to porcelain fused to metal, dental crowns have taken many shapes and forms over the years. The most recent options are same-day CEREC crowns, and they give patients the ability to have their crowns placed in a single day.
A Revolutionary Crown
The term “CEREC” stands for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics, or CEramic REConstruction. This revolutionary method of crown milling was first developed in Switzerland in the 1980s, entered dental offices in the 1990s, and took off in the early aughts. Today, it’s used by certified dentists across the country to provide highly accurate dental crowns in a single day.
Traditional crown placement requires at least two appointments. At the first visit, patients will have impressions taken, their tooth repaired and prepped, and a temporary crown placed. The dentist will send impressions to an outsourced lab where they will manufacture the crown. Once it’s complete, the crown is permanently placed at the second appointment.
With a CEREC in-office milling unit, doctors have the ability to produce a crown right in the office. Digital scans are taken before treating and preparing the damaged tooth. Those scans are sent to the milling unit and the new crown is created on-site. Once it’s ready, it’s placed. There’s no need for temporaries, there’s relatively no wait time, and the patient can walk out with a fully restored and functional tooth in one day.
What Are The Benefits Of CEREC Crowns?
- No Temporaries, No Waiting – Since traditional crowns typically take two or more appointments, a dentist will provide you with a temporary crown. But sometimes those temporaries fall off in the interim. That can result in further damage to the tooth.
- Streamlined Process – Your doctor takes the scans, monitors the milling unit, and places your crown. There are less hands that your crown is passed to and less room for error.
- Digital Accuracy – Speaking of “room for error,” impressions and casts can warp or incidentally be manipulated. A digital image never shifts and the accuracy is exceptional.
- Quality – CEREC crowns are made from one solid material, providing you with a strong and sturdy prosthetic. And there’s no metal, which may be appealing to some patients.
- Education – CEREC milling units are at the forefront of dental technology, and utilizing it effectively requires a high level of education that’s continuously evolving. When you work with a doctor who offers CEREC technology, you can trust in their dedication to their craft and evolving technologies.
We’re CEREC-Certified at Carmel Mountain Dental Care!
Carmel Mountain Dental Care in San Diego can place your same-day CEREC crowns. Dr. Moeckel is highly trained in CEREC technology and CAD-CAM dentistry, and can create amazingly accurate dental crowns. In fact, she served as a mentor for others training at the Cerecdoctors campus in Scottsdale, AZ.
With 17 combined years of experience, a focus on patient comfort, and a deep knowledge of dentistry, our doctors will take fantastic care of you. We serve Rancho Peñasquitos, 4S Ranch, Del Sur, Carmel Mountain Ranch, and Carmel Valley, and we’d love to serve you!
Call us today at (858) 484-4880 to schedule an appointment or come to our offices at 9310 Carmel Mountain Rd Ste. A, San Diego, CA 92129. We look forward to seeing you!